30 August 2005

Natural selection and the prevalence of autism

I've always been interested in how the brain works and have read quite a bit on the subject of evolutionary psychology and biology and some on cognitive neuroscience. (Once Zeke was diagnosed as hyperlexic and PDD/ASD, I was really interested.) Reading through some of many posts on the neurodiversity vs. biomed debate, I've been thinking about the role of natural selection in the recent "explosion" of autism cases.

I figured before I wrote anything I should do a little research, lit review, etc. In my Google search, I came across Origins of Autism from 2003 and an earlier paper, Human Evolution: Evolution and the Structure of Health and Disease, from 1998. It's late and I've not had a chance to read through either of these in any detail, but they definitely look like they are worth reading.

I'm anxious to find out what their conclusions are.

No comments: