04 June 2006

Questions about a cure's effect on people

When I checked my referer logs on Friday, I saw that quite a few people found their way to this blog looking for discussion about how the new movie X-Men III: The Last Stand might relate to autism. Most people found me through various search terms, but my post More thoughts on autism inspired by the X-Men trilogy was also linked to from “X-Men” and Disability Rights at specialchildren.about.com. (That article also points to A ‘Last Stand’ against cure, a bit more academic take on the issue).

I finally saw the movie yesterday, and as an X-Men fan I wasn’t disappointed. I don’t want to get into any specifics from the movie yet; I’d hate to spoil anything for people who are planning to see it. But I did come away from it with a few questions about autism cures that I hadn’t really thought of before. (These questions all assume that a cure exists.)

  • How many autistics would take the cure? (Though most writing by autistics that I’ve come across seems to be anti-cure, I can’t imagine that there are not pro-cure autistics out there.)
  • How would autistics who choose to be cured be viewed/treated by autistics who choose not to be cured?
  • How would a pro-cure parent of an autistic child feel about their child who chose not to be cured?
  • How would an anti-cure parent of an autistic child feel about their child who chose to be cured?
  • How do autistics feel about their pro- / anti- cure parents?
Unlike autism, which typically presents very early in life, in the world of the X-Men the “change” from human to mutant occurs at puberty, after the child has had a chance to experience what a “normal” life is. Subsequently, these mutants have an experiential basis for making a personal decision to be ‘cured’ or not that it seems to me autistics don’t have. Just a thought.

tagged as: Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, X-Men

1 comment:

Val said...

I wouldn't take the cure, that's for sure. I'm me because of who I am, and that is largely a direct result of having Asperger's Syndrome all my life.

Because of that, I have a deep and clear understanding of prejudice and how it works with people.

A lot of people don't have that experience. I've gained a lot of inroads with folks because I know what it is to be in the minority and publicly despised.

At least I know I've lived. Some people don't ever do so, and for them, I am sorry.

Read about me here: http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com